Friday, July 17, 2009

Garden before...after!

Here are pictures of the garden boxes my mom helped me plant the first week we moved in (first week of June). We planted banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, red/green peppers, and 3 rows of lettuce (but only one row grew) in the first box without tomato cages; this is best seen in pictures 3 & 4, tomatoes and corn in the middle box (the corn didn't grow); best seen in picture 2 in the box on the right of the frame, and one more tomato plant, sugar snap peas, winter squash, sweet pea flowers, and cucumbers in the box closest to the corner of the fence; best seen in picture 2 in the box on the left, closer to the trash can. I use the trash can with a liner for weeding, and it works great! I had it in a different spot in picture #1, but like it better closer to the compost pile now in picture 2. The first pictures is what they looked like the weekend we planted them.
The cucumber plants, sugar snap peas, four of the five tomato plants and all the pepper plants have all grown like CRAZY!!! We've already gotten 4 banana peppers, and almost a dozen jalapeno peppers! There are even 6 tomatoes growing and just about that many flowers on the cucumber plants. No flowers on the sugar snap peas, yet. The tomato plants and snap peas are as tall as me, and the cucumber plant decided to creep up the cage where the sweet peas didn't grow. The last three pictures are what they look like today! Crazy!!! I love it!!
I'm hoping to build another couple of boxes for next year to start strawberries and rhubarb, and I may even start raspberries along the back of one as well. I'm actually starting to think I might have picked up a teeny tiny bit of my mom's love of gardening...baby steps...baby steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment